This tool is targeted to Internet Service Providers (ISPs) that are willing to deploy a third-party virtual CDN service targetting OTT-VOD delivery market. The algorithm we implemented deploys a service function chain composed of 2 Virtual Network Functions (VNFs): the Virtual Media Gateway (VMG - for routing) and the Virtual CDN Cache (VCDN - for content delivery), that guarantee the Quality of Service for end-users on enhanced paths.
After loading a topology, we can configure the User pools that will consume the video content, as well as the legacy CDN network peering points, accessible through best-effort IP traffic. Other Service Level Agreement (SLA) parameters can be configured.
Finally, we can compute either (1) the optimal embedding of both VNFs (searching for the optimal number of VMG and VCDN to deploy and to embed) or (2) manually set the VNF numbers to embed. The results related to the placement of the embedded VNFs appear on the left diagram within the topology. The results related to the cost estimation appear on the table on the right. Additional modifications on the performed embedding can be done related to the total number of concurrent users. We also display the videos perceived by the users, depending on their types.
Total Concurrent Users
1. Select your Topology
HD Premium Profile
Those customers will always benefit from the enhanced distribution by a VCDN, as their requests will be routed to the VCDN VNF by the VMG.
HD Free Profile
Those customers' requests are routed by the VMG to the VCDN if the bandwidth allows it. In case the vCDN link is beyond capacity, they will be served in best-effort mode through the legacy CDN channel.
Those customers’ requests are always routed by the VMG to the legacy CDN, with no quality guarantee.
- Herbaut, N., D. Négru, D. Dietrich, and P. Papadimitriou, "Dynamic deployment and optimization of virtual Content Delivery Networks", IEEE Multimedia, vol. 24, issue 3, 07/2017.
- Herbaut, N., D. Négru, D. Dietrich, and P. Papadimitriou, "Service Chain Modeling and Embedding for NFV-based Content Delivery", IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), 05/2017.
- Herbaut, N., D. Négru, Y. Chen, P. A. Frangoudis, and A. Ksentini, "Content Delivery Networks as a Virtual Network Function: a Win-win ISP-CDN Collaboration", IEEE Global Communications Conference, 12/2016, 2016
- Herbaut, N., D. Négru, D. Magoni, and P. A. Frangoudis, Deploying a Content Delivery Service Function Chain on an SDN-NFV Operator Infrastructure, 2016 International Conference on Telecommunications and Multimedia (TEMU) , Heraklion, IEEE, 07/2016.
- Herbaut, N., D. Negru, G. Xilouris, and Y. Chen, Migrating to a NFV-based Home Gateway: introducing a Surrogate vNF approach, Network of the Future (NOF), 2015 6th International Conference on the: IEEE, 2015.
- Herbaut, N., G. Xilouris, and D. Negru, The Surrogate vNF approach for Content Distribution", COMSOC Multimedia Communications Technical Committee E-Letter, vol. 10, pp. 4–6, 2015.